New Year Resolution. Differently This Time
Are you making New Year's resolutions?
Many people in our latitudes do this, it is an old custom. The truth is that at the end of January, all that is left of a resolution is often just that piece of paper. There are several reasons and they are interconnected.
- Resolutions do not actually come from us, but are a reflection of social pressure (or even pressure from the family). In short, a resolution is not really our choice.
- We place too high demands on ourselves and set too many and/or too ambitious goals
- We only see the end goal, not the path to it
Let's try to do it differently this year. For the 2023 resolution, let's try to follow the path more than the destination and focus on what we really want and need.
How to do it?
Let's now recap this year and ask ourselves:
- How was the year just ending for me?
- What has changed in my functioning in 2021?
- How have I mostly felt this year, good or bad?
- What was it about? / Why wasn't it?
- What brought me the most joy this year?
- What was the hardest thing this year?
- What did I miss the most this year?
- What did I accomplish the best this year?
- How did I manage to overcome difficulties this year and thanks to whom or what?
- If I could change just one thing about how I function in 2022, what would it be?
This reflection will give us a guide to follow on which changes are really important for us. And it will also give us a certain compass on how to "manage" the changes so that in the end it is what we really want.